Stephen S. Dobson III
Stephen Sherrod Dobson, III graduated with Honors from the Florida State University College of Law in 1988 and graduated with a Bachelor of Science, Criminology degree from Florida State University in 1976. Mr. Dobson worked for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for 15 years prior to attending law school.
Background: In addition to being admitted to practice in all of the state courts of Florida, Mr. Dobson has been admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He has also been admitted to practice in the United States Districts Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Florida. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Dobson was an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of Florida. His criminal practice includes significant cases in the area of healthcare fraud, securities fraud, tax fraud (both federal income tax fraud as well as state sales tax fraud), public corruption, and a variety of white collar crimes. Mr. Dobson also has extensive experience in the area of illegal drugs, gambling, counterfeiting, grand theft, assault, battery and burglary. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Dobson worked for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement where he served in a variety of positions, including Special Agent, Special Agent Supervisor, and Inspector.
Professional Activities: Mr. Dobson has always been active in the community and in the service of his profession. Mr. Dobson has served as a member of the Board of Directors for the Tallahassee Bar Association, a member of the Federal Bar Association, the William H. Stafford Chapter of the American Inn of Court, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Association of the Trial Lawyers of American, the American Bar Association, the Jefferson County Bar Association, and the Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers. In addition, Mr. Dobson is a member of the Exchange Club of Tallahassee as well as the Economic Club of Florida.
In July 2004, Florida Trend magazine included Mr. Dobson in what they refer to as the State's Legal Leaders, comprising the top 1.6% of the lawyers in Florida as named by their peers.Mr. Dobson was the only lawyer in private practice named in the area of criminal law for Tallahassee and the entire panhandle area of Florida that year. Later that year, Florida Monthly magazine included Mr. Dobson as one of Florida's top 908 lawyers as chosen by their peers. Mr. Dobson has continued to be recognized as one of the finest lawyers in Florida by other publications, including being recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Superlawyers.com.
Personal: Mr. Dobson is a native of Tallahassee, Florida. He enjoys college sports, reading, fishing, and spending time at the beach. His daughter, Stephanie, is also an attorney practicing in Tallahassee.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Civil Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Florida, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1991
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1991
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida
- J.D. - 1988
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Moot Court
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- B.S. - 1976
- Major: Criminology
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America (Selected by Peers), 2010
- Florida's Best Lawyers - Criminal Defense: Non-White Collar (As published in Florida Monthly, July 2009)
- Florida's Top Lawyers - Criminal Law (As published in Florida Monthly Magazine, July 2008)
- Top Attorneys in Florida (As seen on Superlawyers.com, June 2007)
- Florida SuperLawyers - The Top Attorneys in Florida (Only the top 5% of Lawyers in the State are Named SuperLawyers), 2006
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite - The State's Legal Leaders as Named by their Peers (Featured in Florida Trend, 2006)
- Florida's Top Lawyers (As published in Florida Monthly, July 2005)
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite - Top 1.7% Named by their Peers (Featured in Florida Trend, 2005)
- Florida's Top Lawyers, Chosen by their Peers (As published in Florida Monthly, November 2004)
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite - The State's Legal Leaders - Top 1.6% Named by their Peers (Featured in Florida Trend, 2004)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tallahassee Bar Association, Past Member, Board of Dir., 1988 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Florida Dept. of Law Enforcement, Communication Coordinator, Special Agent, Special Agent Supervisor, Inspector, 1970 - 1985